Fine jewelry can last a lifetime when properly cared for. Below are a few tips to protect your valuable pieces and keep them looking their best:
- Visit us every 6 -12 months for an inspection and steam cleaning by one of our experts. During this inspection we'll check stones for tightness, examine prongs, and generally inspect your item for any signs of concerning wear and tear. If applicable, we'll review any recommended repairs with you after inspection.
- As part of the inspection process, we'll also steam clean your jewelry to remove any lotion or irritants. A more thorough polishing can be completed for an additional charge.
- Without care and attention, even jewelry appropriate for everyday wear is susceptible to breaking. Remove your jewelry during specific activities like weightlifting, biking, rock climbing, landscaping, and lifting heavy objects like furniture to reduce the risk of damage or loss.
- Remove your jewelry while in a hot tub or swimming pool. Bromine and chlorine can cause metal to become brittle.
- Regularly check your earring backs for tension.
- Use care when removing hats, scarfs, heavy coats and mittens or gloves as prongs can get caught on fabric, leading to loose stones.
- Store necklaces by hanging, flat laying, or in small bags with clasps on the outside of the bag.
- To clean your diamond jewelry at home, soak in a 1 to 1 solution of an ammonia solution and water.
- Use warm, mildly soapy water to clean gemstone jewelry. Pearls and opals can be wiped with a soft rag.
Additional general recommendations related to jewelry care:
- Have a good understanding of the style of jewelry you’re wearing. Is it particularly delicate, antique, or prone to damage? Is it appropriate to wear everyday with the activity level of your lifestyle? Use your best judgment.
- Consider a “travel ring” to protect against loss while outside your regular routine.
- Finally, we always recommend you insure your jewelry to protect against loss, theft, and serious damage.